Feb 8, 2008

Peaches - Breskvice


Breskvice (peaches) are very traditional in all the countries of formerly Yugoslavia, and are a must at weddings, holidays and any special occasion. Of course I would, from time to time, come up with a special occasion just to make them : )
There are many recipes out there, and really you can’t go wrong with any of them, the method is pretty much the same, and you can jazz up the filling any way you like, you‘ll see. I go traditional way, with peach jam (my homemade, and you can use whichever jam you like), walnuts, and crumbs from the cookies, as well as more kid friendly, or shall I say Chocoholic friendly version with Nutella instead of jam, mhmm….
I have adapted this version of bisquits from Croatian Herald, and I use a filling from a recipe of unknown source. The "styling" process is my own making :)



BRESKVICE (Peaches)

For the cookies (about 16):300 grams of flour
150 grams of butter or margarine
100 grams of fine sugar
1 egg
2 Tbsp of sour cream
½ package of baking powder (7 grams)
Now, if the above quantity is not enough for you, double it!


For the filling:
Crumbs from carving the peach halves
As needed peach jam (or some other jam)
Ground walnuts (or some other nuts)
Filling option 2:
Instead of jam, use Nutella, the rest is same
some rum, if you like

Also needed:
200 ml of milk
4 Tbsp of sugar
Yellow and red food dye
Vanilla extract, or strawberry and mint,
or banana, whatever suits you
Sugar for dipping peaches

In no particular order, mix all the ingredients until smooth. It may seem at the very beginning like that is just not going to happen, but just keep mixing.
Now wash your hand, and then oil them, and start making little balls a bit smaller than a walnut. Place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, and bake them in the preheated oven, 385 ° F, for about 15 minutes.

They will still be white, so don’t think they are not done, don’t burn them, take them out, cool them for a bit, just enough to handle them in your hands, and with a small knife, or some other tool, carve holes in each of the halves, very carefully. C’mon, it’s so worth it! : )

Leave the crumbs you are getting, and when you are done, “grind” them through your fingers to get finer crumbs, and now add as needed, or to taste, jam, and walnuts, to make filling thick enough to fill the halves, and when sticking two together, to be able to hold it. Remember you can substitute jam with Nutella, for filling option 2.

Now that you have little pale peaches, prepare two cereal bowls, or some other bowls, with 100 ml of milk in each, mix in 2 Tbsp of sugar in each, and couple of drops of yellow food dye in one, and couple of drops of red food dye in the other bowl, and mix a bit. Add flavoring (I use vanilla), but you can also flavor the red with strawberry, and yellow with mint, or flavor both milk mixtures with banana or some other flavor, or you know what, just play with it!!! Also prepare sugar for dipping in a plate or something of that kind.

Quickly dip each peach in yellow milk, and then in red milk, but not one peach half in one color, and one peach half in other, rather dip them in the manner in which each half will get dipped in both colors, for more natural looking peaches : ) Now, I pat them with paper towel for a second or two, to make sure they are not to wet for the next step, rolling them in the sugar. I learned this over time, and you will get better every time, and they will look better, and better, and you will play with flavors.

When you are done with coloring all the peaches, and rolling them in sugar, let them sort of rest overnight , and enjoy!



Peaches in progress!

25 comments:

Zmajek said...

Hi! Your breskvice look beautiful, i was really surprised to see them on tastespotting, i immediately thought it's someone from slovenia because we do them here, too. Close enough! :) Nice looking blog, too!
Greetings from slovenia,
Maja :)

Melita said...

Hi Maja! I am new at this, but there will be more recipes coming. Thank you, and greetings from USA!

Anonymous said...

Hey Medena!!

Super blog, bravo! Baš mi je drago da promoviraš naše specijalitete :))
Odakle si?? Ja sam iz Splita, ali trenutno na kulinarskom collegu u US. Šaljem ti puno pozdrava iz NY!

Melita said...

Hi Tea! Ja sam rođena i odrasla u malom mjestu kod Zadra :)
I ja bih volila na kulinarski college, ali sad je kasno... Udala se, djeca, itd. Na koledzu sam sad, ali Finance :)
Poydrav i tebi iz MI!!!

Anonymous said...

Ma vidi koja slučajnost :))
Onda ćemo ovako izmenjivat iskustva! ;)

Melita said...

Definitivno Tea! Puno srece u kulinarskom svijetu, and I love your blog! Hey, you never know, maybe one day I can still be a chef, I would love to be a pastry chef... ah...

chriesi said...

These are beautiful!

Melita said...

Thank you chriesi!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful - saved and copied. If you don't mind I shall post a like to this on DiscussCooking.com where I hang out occasionally.
Thanks,
David Cottrell www.ukraineorphans.net

Melita said...

Thank you David, and no problem! :)

Selfhuggingjack said...

These are gorgeous, I was really suprised to find out they werent REAL peach halves!

Anonymous said...

i cant belive..ive found recipe of my favorite peaches ..wow...thank u sooo much!!!..im gonna make them for sure inshaaAllah..

Vera said...

Medena, your peaches are so cute! The similar version is popular in Russia, too. We call them "apricots" which is pretty close :) The cookies are usually dipped in carrot and some red berry juice for coloring.

By the way, I love your blog (just discovered it :)!

Melita said...

Thank you Vera! Not surprised you make similar stuff in Russia! Thank you for stopping by, glad you like my blog! :)

Serena@TentarNonNuoce said...

these cookies are popular across Italy, too :-) they're called "fake peaches" or "sweet peeches", and I love them!
your ones are beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I love these cookies!!! When you mix all the ingredents do you let the mixture sit to get hard?

Melita said...

HVelic - no need to have them sit, they are the right texture right away!
This is a great recipe, my friend has another one, which gives me more “biscuity” result; I'll see if I can get a permission to post that one... in any even this one is awesome too!
Thanks for stopping by! :)

Anonymous said...

hi medena , iv wanted this recipe for ages,and have now found it, thanks to you ,my daughter loves them ,instead of buying them ,i can now make them ,x diane perth ,western australia .

Anonymous said...

Hey, your peach cookies look great! I'm Romanian and we make these in Romania as well, they are my favorite. Very nice blog.

Anonymous said...

These cookies are popular in Romania too. They're called the word for "peaches". It would be interesting to find out where this recipe started.

Anonymous said...

OMG! THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS RECIPE!!!

My family is croatian, well, my father's side is, and everytime we get a family gathering, mostly xmas and weddings, there's always these cookies and me and my sisters just grab plates of them!! XD haha

I've been trying to figure out how to do them, my dad's aunt gave me a croatian website with them, but i cant read croatian...and translating it didnt work at all XD

Cant wait to bake these tomorrow!!

cakebaker_cakemaker said...

these are amazing...I make them too but mine a a slightly different recipe. I make all fruit shapes and fill them with custard then dip in liqueur.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28032559@N00/400546465/

cakebaker_cakemaker said...

these are amazing...I make them too but mine a a slightly different recipe. I make all fruit shapes and fill them with custard then dip in liqueur.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28032559@N00/400546465/

cakebaker_cakemaker said...

these are amazing...I make them too but mine a a slightly different recipe. I make all fruit shapes and fill them with custard then dip in liqueur.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28032559@N00/400546465/

cakebaker_cakemaker said...

these are amazing...I make them too but mine a a slightly different recipe. I make all fruit shapes and fill them with custard then dip in liqueur.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28032559@N00/400546465/

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS