Jun 27, 2008

Tarte Tatin


I have been meaning to make this for quite some time now, and now I know I will be making it again. You know I’m a sucker for simple, and a major sucker for apples! : )

Tarte Tatin
(adapted from Desserts, 500 delicious recipes)

8 oz/ one sheet puff pastry
10-12 large apples
Lemon juice
½ cup butter
½ cup caster sugar
½ tsp ground cinnamon
Crème fraiche or whipped cream to serve

Thaw pastry according to directions, then roll it out on a lightly floured surface to the size of the pan in which you will be making the tarte (11 inch round). Transfer to a lightly floured baking sheet (parchment paper is great), and chill until needed.

Peel, core and cut apples in half lengthwise. Sprinkle with lemon juice.
In the pan which you will use for tarte, cook butter with sugar and cinnamon, until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Continue cooking for 6-8 minutes, or until the mixture starts resembling caramel.

Remove from heat, arange apples tightly in the pan(they will shrink), and return to medium heat to simmer the apples in the pan for 20-25 minutes or until they start to brown. In the meantime, preheat oven to 450 F. Remove apples from heat, and cool down slightly.

Place pastry on top of the apple filled pan, and tuck the edges of the pastry inside the edge of the pan. Pierce pastry in 2-3 places, then bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until pastry is golden. Cool for 15 minutes.

Cover the pan with a serving plate, and carefully invert the pan, and the plate together over a sink (in case some caramel drips), and then lift the pan. Serve warm as is, or with some cream. Enjoy!
More apple recipes available here:
Apple cake with whole apples
Apple bundt cake
Apple dumplings
Batter fried apple rings

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Medena, this looks so yummy! I loveeee caramelish desserts:) I usually make upside down imitation tart tatin, but not with pastry dough, with batter. I was thinking to post it on my blog sometime too. Next time I am trying this recipe. It looks soooooo good! Boy, am I glutton or what?

Anonymous said...

I'm really impressed with the perfect arrangement of apples — unfortunately at least one of my apples usually sticks to the pan. Yours looks great :)

Just Cook It said...

Stunning. Possibly my favourite ever dessert.

Kana said...

Medena:

That looks wonderful. I can almost taste the caramelized fruit.

Peter M said...

That's a mighty fine looking Tarte Tatin...may I?

Anonymous said...

Oh it looks so delicious.Apple is my favorite fruit and now tarte tartin is my favorite recipe

Anonymous said...

This is a delicious tart! Your photos are very lovely :).

We'd like to invite you to participate in our September apple and peach recipe contest (the recipe can be sweet or savory). All competitors will be eligible to win one of three prizes :)! Please email me, sophiekiblogger@gmail.com, if you're interested.

Feel free to check out our blog for more details: http://blog.keyingredient.com/2008/08/29/september-kick-contest/

Thanks :),
Sophie
KI Chief Blogger

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS