Dec 18, 2008

Lamingtons filled with vanilla custard

Lamingtons
Lamingtons filled with vanilla custard

For the sponge cake:
3 eggs
15 Tbsp sugar
15 Tbsp oil
15 Tbsp milk
15 Tbsp flour
2 Tsp baking powder

For the vanilla custard, or pastry cream:
2 cups milk
3 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
3 Tbsp corn starch
1 Tsp vanilla extract
You can also cook one of those powdered puddings, which is what I do, pretty much the same.

For the chocolate coating:
4 oz baking chocolate
1 ½ cups milk

Also needed:
100 g / about 4 oz sweetened desiccated coconut to roll them in

First make the pastry cream, to allow it to cool before you make the sponge cake. Mix yolks with sugar, then add corn starch, vanilla extract, and mix until smooth and silky. Bring milk to boil, then add the yolk mixture, reduce heat to low, and cook for few minutes, stirring until it thickens. Cool completely before using!

To make the sponge cake: Preheat oven to 375 F. Mix eggs with sugar until pale and creamy, add the rest of the ingredients in the order given. Pour into rectangular baking dish (9x13“), and bake until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, and the cake looks golden.

Cool completely, and cut into cubes, however big you like. Heat milk and chocolate, stirring constantly until chocolate is melted, and you get a creamy mixture. Start with 1/2 cup of milk, and add the rest gradually, because the need depends on chocolate you use, and you don't want it to be too runny. Allow it to cool so it’s easy to handle. Cut each sponge cube across the middle, and fill it with about a tablespoon of custard, coat it with chocolate on all sides, and then roll it into coconut. Lamingtons are best after you leave them rest for a while, and let those flavors marry each other.

18 comments:

Serena@TentarNonNuoce said...

simply delicious :-P fantastic!

Monika said...

odlična ideja puniti čupavce kremom od vanilije! izgledaju savršeno :)

Anonymous said...

I've never had these before, but they look amazing! You have so many wonderful recipes and beautiful pictures on your blog!

I would love to write about your lamingtons on our blog! If you are interested send me an email at haley@keyingredient.com

Thanks!
Haley, KI Blogger

Brooke said...

I heart lamingtons, but haven't had them in an age. I'm too lazy to make them I guess! But yours definitely look delicious.

nlo said...

predivni su!

Cherie said...

Your have been posting all my favourite desserts lately. The ones I grew up with.The ones that bring back such wonderful memories.
The vanilla slice, the peaches( we used to make them for weddings) and the honey slice( my grandmother's specialty) are all fabulous! And now the lamingtons! We used to call them coconut squares ( I only heard about the lamingtons name while I was in Sydney).
I never had them with filling, though. Next on my list to try!
Great photos, too.

Вера said...

Deca obozavaju cupavce,sa super filom,extra ideja!

Snjezana said...

Lamingtons are a traditional aussie treat. They're said to be named after 2nd Baron Lamington, Governer of Queensland from 1896 to 1901 or after his wife...
Here in Australia they're sold in every supermarket (just plain sponge dipped in chocolate and rolled in desiccated coconut, filled with custard, dipped in white chocolate/rolled in coconut or macadamia nuts, dipped in raspberry jelly/rolled in coconut...). They're a common item on almost every picnic, especially for Australia Day on January 26.
Yours look yummy!:) next time you might try raspberry jam and cream.:) It tastes yummy combined with chocolate and coconut.:)))

Anonymous said...

How come you didn't decitate these to me, and you know very well why.:)) Kidding. This look great! I have never made lamingtons. Saving the recipe. BTW, great shot!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Those look wonderful!

Everything you make turns out beautifully!
~ingrid

Anonymous said...

I have recently discovered this blog and I just love it. Recipes and pictures are awesome.
I love your lamingtons. I remember "cupavci" su mi bili medu omiljenima, and still are.
pozz

Eileen said...

Love anything that incorporates vanilla custard!

sweetalmond said...

your blog and pictures are amazing!!!

Unknown said...

mmmmm cupavci od kokosa....

Anonymous said...

Hi medena, I was making this and my cake sank :(. It has a huge dip in the middle. I havent tried it yet but I'm not sure if I'm going to finish the chocolate coating etc. How long was i supposed to leave it in the oven for?
Cheers
Esta

Melita said...

Dear Esta,
There are many reasons why it may have sunk, like bad baking powder, old eggs, oven wasn't heated before baking, and so on...
It never failed for me, and I have been making it since I was a teenager, I am so sorry it didn't work for you.
I hardly ever put down baking time, because it really varies from oven to oven, and many other factors. You should just watch, and when you see it has risen, and it's pretty even, and golden brown, aproximately 30-40 min. At that point you quickly insert the toothpick in the center, close the oven quickly, so you don't cool it in case the toothpick didn't come out clean. If it did come out clean, it's done, if not, give it more time, and test again.
You can also try mixing egg yolks with sugar, and egg whites separately, then add rest of the ingredients.
Also, make sure you are using good flour, I use "Five Roses", it's great, and for all uses, cakes, breads, etc.
Good luck on your next try, and use these tips for other recipes too. Thank you so much for trying! Cheers! :)
Melita

Anonymous said...

fantastic weblog!
can I replace the vanilla custard with vanilla pudding??

thanks,
sabzeye khoshgel

Anonymous said...

I keep Ramadan fast and this look great :)

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS