Feb 16, 2009

Banana Pudding

Banana pudding
Southern comfort food in all it’s glory, banana pudding served in jars, topped with meringue hats! Just delicious! Kids couldn't wait to get their hands on it!!!
I have discovered this recipe in a cookbook Screen Doors and Sweet Tea: Recipes and Tales from a Southern Cook. Definitely a great buy!

Banana pudding

Pudding:
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup cake flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large egg yolks
2 cups whole milk
1/2 vanilla bean, split or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 inch piece of cinnamon stick
Vanilla wafer cookies (good quality) or a tea cake recipe included in the book
4 medium bananas, peeled and sliced

Topping:
4 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
5 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Pudding: Bring 2 cups of water to boil in heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat. In large stainless steel bowl, whisk together sugar, flour and salt. Whisk in egg yolks, followed by milk, vanilla bean, nutmeg and cinnamon. Place bowl over pan of water and cook, stirring until mixture is thick and coats the back of a spoon, 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat. Remove cinnamon and vanilla bean. Rinse vanilla bean and reserve for another use. If using vanilla extract, stir it in now.

While pudding is still warm, layer cookies, bananas and pudding in 1/2 pint canning jars or ramekins. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Topping: Whisk egg whites in electric mixer on medium speed until frothy. Add cream of tartar and slowly increase speed as egg whites become opaque. Add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time. Add vanilla extract. Whip until whites form a soft peak. Spoon meringue over warm puddings, sealing it to sides of jars.

Bake puddings for 4 minutes or until meringue is puffed and brown. Cool on rack for 20 minutes, then refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Banana Pudding

13 comments:

Marija said...

They are so cute! Polka dot puddings :)

Suzy said...

Cute as buttons. Beautiful photo!

Maggie said...

I love the presentation in jelly jars! My father would make Nilla wafer pudding like this when I was a kid.

Anonymous said...

This is my husbands favorite! Yum!

Elyse said...

These are just gorgeous! They make me miss my Southern roots. I must say, you've made banana pudding look more sophisticated than I've ever seen it, and I think it looks spectacular!

Anonymous said...

I met Martha at an event in my home town. She was wonderful! I have this cookbook too. I haven't tried this pudding yet but I've made a bunch of other stuff. I've loved it all! I was so happy to come across this recipe. I hope everyone gives this and Martha a try!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE these!!! I found out about this cookbook when the magazine I work for, Taste of the South (www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com) did a big feature story on her last year. It is one of the best cookbooks out there, if not for the recipes themselves then for the way it looks. The art direction and styling completely embody the warm, casual comfort of the Southeastern United States. (By the way, the caramel cake recipe is printed wrong, which is so sad!)

Heidi Leon Monges said...

these banana puddings are so cute, and def totally yummy I'm sure. No wander why your kids couldn't wait to eat them!. Great green idea to use the jars!.

test it comm said...

Nice looking banana pudding!

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

All I can say is "YUM-YUM"!!

Claire said...

Looks delicious! I'm definitely going to try this!

Ruchi M said...

These look gorgeous! I just stumbled upon your blog and it looks delicious and I am definitely gong to be coming back for more recipes.

Ruchi
http://ruchisimplyfood.blogspot.com

Cafe Pepela said...

Look very delicious!
its my favorite..

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS