Feb 23, 2009

Luscious Creme Brulee

Creme brulee
Life was but a shallow river before our rivers met
And our summer love gave birth to a timeless one
I shall love you more every new dawn, every sunset
I shall love you only more, never less, till I’m gone.

From my heart, to my husband, my best friend, and true love, who says I never say it enough :)
You are my creme brulee!

Luscious Crème Brulee

2 cups heavy (whipping) cream
1 cup half-and-half
6 large egg yolks
¾ cup sugar
Pinch of salt
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 300° F. Have ready a flame proof 1-quart shallow baking or gratin dish ( I have used smaller ramekins) and a roasting pan. Put on a kettle of water to boil for the water bath.
Heat the cream, and half-and-half in a medium saucepan over medium heat until hot. Remove from the heat.

Whisk together the yolks, ½ cup of the sugar, and the salt in a medium bowl. Slowly add the cream mixture, whisking constantly until blended and smooth. Do not over mix it. Add the vanilla. Pour the mixture through a fine strainer set over a medium glass measure or a bowl.

Pour the custard into the baking dish, and skim any foam from the top. Transfer to a roasting pan, place in the oven, and pour enough boiling water into the pan to reach halfway up the sides of the baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until custard is set around the edges but still slightly jiggly in the center. Do not over bake--the custard will set further as it cools. Remove the baking dish from the water bath and let cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate the crème brulee, loosely covered, for at least 4 hours, until thoroughly chilled and set, or for up to 1 day.

Preheat the broiler. Have the roasting pan ready, and fill bowl with ice water. Gently blot the surface of the custard with the edge of a paper towel to remove any condensation. Sift the remaining ¼ cup sugar evenly over the custard. Place the baking dish in the roasting pan and carefully pour enough ice water to come halfway up the sides of the baking dish.
Creme Brulee
Broil custard about 3 inches from heat for 2-3 minutes, until sugar has melted and turned a dark amber color; carefully move or rotate the dish if necessary so the sugar caramelizes evenly. Remove from the broiler, and cool the custard in the ice water for 5 minutes.
Carefully remove the baking dish from the pan. Serve right away, or refrigirate, uncovered for no longer than 1 hour before serving-- or the topping will soften.

Recipe adapted from Luscious Creamy Dessertsby Lori Longbotham and France Ruffenach. I love this book, I have my eyes on many more recipes to try.
Poem by me :)

19 comments:

Elyse said...

Your creme brulee does look absolutely luscious. I'm always up for a good classic creme brulee recipe, so I can't wait to try this one!

nlo said...

prekrasna posveta:)) i odlična krema!

JA U KUHINJI... said...

predivna posveta i prelepa krema... :)

Creative Classroom Core said...

Ive always wanted to try making creme brulee, and your pic makes me want to get started! Looks great! Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer said...

So beautiful!!!

Monika said...

prekrasno! eto, nemam drugih riječi :)

Heidi Leon Monges said...

oh girl, that is so sweet, I mean your dedicatory to your *creme brulee*. I call my man *mon calisson* which is a specialty french candy from Aix-en-provence, his hometown.

Oh, and btw after all this gossip of mine, I love creme brulees specially family style and not just in their single ramekin portions. And as usual your pic is awesome!

chriesi said...

Looks fantastic!

Shelby said...

Wow, it looks delicious! Would you believe I have never eaten creme brulee?!

Snjezana said...

your husband is one very lucky man.:)

Tatlı Tuzlu Anılarım said...

Hi, I want to do dobos torte, but I do not know English, I know only a few words. I 'm very sorry :(

Tatlı Tuzlu Anılarım said...

Medena ! Thank you for your comment
I'm using google translate, but not much is understood.
I think better is turning to English Turkish

still trying to translate and I'll try your recipe.Thanks :)

Olga said...

oh my god! this looks so pretty! I so wish I was there and could crack the sugary crust with a spoon :)

Dragana said...

You are a poet as well as a great cook! Delicious looking creme brulee.

Anne said...

Oh my that creme brulee looks amazing. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

~Anne
http://liberteas.blogspot.com

Вера said...

Predivno napravljeno,nisam ga do sada radila,pa cu probati po o vom receptu!

Iiiii said...

creme brulee je san snova, tako jednostavan, a tako dobar!

Nic said...

Oh yes, that is luscious!

Katie|Epicurean Mom said...

Wow, this looks amazing! Thanks for stopping by my blog! :) I'm your latest follower :)

Epicurean Mom

http://www.epicureanmom.com

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS